VMware Cloud Community
vmguy1
Contributor
Contributor

Clustering Windows 2008 Virtual Machines

Hello,

When I try to validate a Windows 2008 cluster on virtual machines (vSphere), I get the following error :

"Successfully put PR reserve on cluster disk 0 from node xxx while it should have failed

Cluster Disk 0 does not support Persistent Reservations. Some storage devices require specific firmware versions or settings to function properly with failover clusters. Please contact your storage administrator or storage vendor to check the configuration of the storage to allow it to function properly with failover clusters.

Test failed. Please look at the test log for more information"

We use Symmetrix storage and our storage administrator has configured the LUN to use SCSI-3 reservation.

The virtual machines are configured with SCSI controllers LSI Logic SAS in Physical Mode for the LUNs connected in RDM.

Did I forget something ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't setup any 2008 clusters using vSphere but I did read over this guide at one time when we were considering it. Maybe it can help.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_mscs.pdf

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

vmguy1
Contributor
Contributor

For information, the problem was due to the fact that our test cluster had only one host.

With 2 ESX hosts, the validation test is successfully.

0 Kudos