VMware Cloud Community
vmpwn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Clarify me independent disk question pls :)

Hello everybody, I start this discussion for a question that I need to clarify because after some hours on the community I still haven't understood(maybe I'm bit retarded Smiley Happy ) , here we go:

Can I perform an hot backup of an indipendent persistent disk?  If not, do you have in mind any dirty workaround to achieve this?  I tried with ghetto script but it doesn't work.

Thank you gurus.

Sry for my bad english.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No way to achieve an indipendent disk hot backup?

Unfortunately not, at least I'm not aware of a way.

I set it to indipendent because if I need to take it off from the vm, 'resize' it, and 'mount' it on again...

Why would you want to remove a virtual disk from a VM to resize it? This can be done online (if the guest OS supports it).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

is there a special reason why you set the disk to "independent persistent"? Usually you'd do something like this to exclude a virtual disk from snapshots. The only way to allow "hot" backups is to uncheck "independent" for this disk to allow snapshots again.

André

vmpwn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I set it to indipendent because if I need to take it off from the vm, 'resize' it, and 'mount' it on again I can do it easily. I would like to schedule this hot backup that's why I can't set off independent and recheck it. Do you think that the independent disk its a dummy way in my case? U suggest me to add another disk on need? No way to achieve an indipendent disk hot backup?

Thanks for reply

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No way to achieve an indipendent disk hot backup?

Unfortunately not, at least I'm not aware of a way.

I set it to indipendent because if I need to take it off from the vm, 'resize' it, and 'mount' it on again...

Why would you want to remove a virtual disk from a VM to resize it? This can be done online (if the guest OS supports it).

André

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

well if your san supports snapshots, that would be a way to do it.

then you could tell the san to take a snapshot of the vmfs and then mount that again/revert if you need to.

though then that indepdent disk should be the only thing on that lun

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
vmpwn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what is the 'san' ? what do you mean with the independent disk should be the only thing on that lun?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

a san is a smart storage device with capabilties that allow you to manipluate the data and volumes in ways that are independent from the guest os that is running and connected to them.

sans with snapshots usually cost some good $$.

i havent investigated any free alternatives yet though..

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
vmpwn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

oh ok 🙂 thx man

0 Kudos