VMware Cloud Community
marklemon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Citrix VM needs COM port disabled in ESX3?

I found this doc:

which recommends disabling COM1 and COM2 ports on a VM running Citrix on an ESX2 server (see bottom of page 19)

My question is, should this change be implemented on ESX3 as well?

cheers,

Kevin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
doubleH
Expert
Expert

i would say this should be a best practice for any vm. i disable these in my templates so any vm that gets deployed via the template has these disabled.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

I can see no reason why you would not follow this discipline on ESX3.

In fact, I would disable these on any VM except if specifically needed....

Chris

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

If you have no requirement for a COM or LPT port to be physically attached to the server, just do not add them to the guest. COM and LPT port redirection via the ICA client will still work for the end users if they require it.

I tend to keep all my Guests as lean a I can, minimum memory, minimum Disk and single CPU where ever posible.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos