VMware Cloud Community
kevinhill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Change in vCPUs not visible in RH4 64

Hi,

I am using ESX 3.5 (Just started using- a few weeks)

I created a RH4 64 bit guest with 1vCPU and 2 GB memory. This VM I converted into a template and deployed a VM. I changed the number of vCPUs in the deployed VM from 1 to 2 and the memory from 2 to 4. However I find that in the guest OS, I am able to see only one processor. The memory shows up increased in the guest OS though. Whats the catch? do I need to do something explicitly to make the CPU visible inside the guest OS? I tried a restart with no effect.

This same thing I tried with a Windows 2003 OS and it worked fine.

regards,

Kevin Hill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BigHug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Install the smp kernel package if it is not installed and change grub.conf. That should do the trick.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BigHug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since it's rhel4, make sure that it uses smp kernel.

opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The problem is the kernel you have used.

RH comes with different kernels for certain fetures one of those is the symetric multi processing kernel which will allow you to run machines with more than one CPU. If you do not have this kernel you will not see mutli cous...

0 Kudos
kevinhill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have used this same installation CDs for installing on physical machines with 2 or 4 CPUs. The problem here is that I have installed a single vCPU VM to create a template VM and now the deployed VMs I would like to increase to 2 or 4 vCPUs

How do I do this ?

regards,

Kevin Hill

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to check the redhat knowledge base. I haven't done it from 1 to 2, I usually setup Redhat with 2 processors just to avoid these problems.

You may have to reinstall redhat, and do an upgrade, you don't lose your settings it will simply change the kernel to the correct one to take advantage of the multi processor.

0 Kudos
BigHug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Install the smp kernel package if it is not installed and change grub.conf. That should do the trick.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In general, install the smp kernel anyways in your images...

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
kevinhill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried installing the kernel-smp rpm, but the number of CPUs is still not updated. If I manually intall the smp kernel rpm what changes do I do in grub.conf?

I also tried an upgrade option, but this did not seem to make any difference. In fact it did not pick up the kernel-smp packages at all.

My problem is that I have provisioned some VMs with single CPU and now I want to up the CPU count.

regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
kevinhill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

Thanks to all who responded.

I installed the kernel-smp package and made the change in grub.conf = > This worked.

regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos