VMware Cloud Community
darrelleddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot see iso files from VC to create VM's

I have two Dell R805 servers connected to a Dell/EMC AX4-5i SAN. Using Veeam FastSCP, I copied several iso's to /vmimages/tools-isoimages. But when I use VC to edit a VM setting to use an ISO CD image, the ISO's don't show up when I browse to /vmimages/tools-isoimages. How can I tell if there is another "/vmimages/tools-isoimages" location? I am pretty sure that the directory resides on the SAN.

Darrell Eddy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

/vmimages is on each ESX host that is created.

To save on valuble space on your SAN, why dont you think about installing Linux or WIndows Server 2003 R2 and create NFS shares.

You can store your ISO's there and even vmtemplates.

Its really easy to set up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check the file system on the hosts

darrelleddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep! That is where they are. That was not my intention. I need to move them to the vmimages on the SAN. :smileymischief:

Darrell

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When I name local storage on an ESX host, I like to name it <hostname>_local to avoid making that same mistake. Otherwise it's called Storage_1 making it easy to confuse with shared storage.

hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

/vmimages is on each ESX host that is created.

To save on valuble space on your SAN, why dont you think about installing Linux or WIndows Server 2003 R2 and create NFS shares.

You can store your ISO's there and even vmtemplates.

Its really easy to set up.

0 Kudos
darrelleddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'd like to get s small NAS and keep them there. Has anyone done this? What brand and model do you recommend?

0 Kudos
pauljrb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have a DELL powerVault 770 running widows 2003 , old peice of kit but works really well for storing ISO's and even VM templates.

Just add as an NFS datastore and it's accessable from all of your VM's, simple!

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

since you got the virtual center, you can always browse the datastore from the virtual center and upload or delete whatever file or folder you need

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos