VMware Cloud Community
ksuchewie
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot migrate VM's from Host A to Host B

Today I wanted to install updates on my ESX 3.5 servers. However, when I try to migrate VM's from Host A to Host B, or vice versa, I get a "Operation Timed Out" error. Not a lot of information there to go from though. It will get to 10% in the task bar, hang, then throw the error.

I've tried the simple restart vmware services but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

sometimes just a simple vmkping from the destination to source esx host vmkernel port will "wake up" the connection. Otherwise you may want to take a look at this KB

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003734

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with Troy - typically time out errors are networking issues - either an mistyped IP address or incorrectly wired network - a vmkping will help eliminate those possibilities

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ksuchewie
Contributor
Contributor

I can vmkping each hosts own adapter, but cannot ping across.

It looks like a network issue. I wonder what's changed because there's been no cabling changes in our datacenter.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

as far as you know - ?:|

0 Kudos
ksuchewie
Contributor
Contributor

OK that was wierd.

After some troubleshooting I found out that I could ping the gateway with Host B's adapter, but not Host A's.

I fixed the isssue by reconfiguring Host A's adapter's speed/duplex setting in vmware to auto/atuo and reverting back to 1000/full on Host A.

Now I am able to migrate vm's.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

good stuff... Can you mark this thread as answered?

0 Kudos