VMware Cloud Community
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Cannot interact with console session of Windows VM from within VI client - keyboard and mouse not working

Hi - I've got a Windows 2003 SP1 TS VM, however I cannot interact with the console from within the VI client. Any ideas? The template this VM was built with has the same issues, however all other VM's are OK.

ESX 3.5 Update 1, VC 2.5 Update 1

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Couple of questions - The other VMs I take were not built from this Template? How did you create the template? When you say you can not interact with the console, does that mean the console opens up but when you localize to the console you are not able to use the mouse and keyboard? Is VMware tools installed? Are all these VMs running on the same ESX Host?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The other VMs I take were not built from this Template?

Correct

How did you create the template?

Altiris

When you say you can not interact with the console, does that mean the console opens up but when you localize to the console you are not able to use the mouse and keyboard?

Correct - All I see is the Windows 2003 standard screen saver - I cannot take focus of the screen to remove the screensaver

Is VMware tools installed? Are all these VMs running on the same ESX Host?

Yes the latest VMware tools are installed and they are running on the only ESX host the DEV environment

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Did you create the template by building a vm and placing the altiris image on it or did you use VMware Converter in VC and read formt he altiris image and create the VM that way? When INstalling VMware Tools how did you interact with the console? Can use an RDC and access the console outside of the VC COnsole?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I built a VM and then dropped the Altiris image on it to format the disks, install the OS etc. To install the VMware tools I found the DHCP address it was given by looking through the address leases on our DHCP server, and then RDP'd to it and installed the VMware tools that way.

I've just found the problem - and it's really obvious.... and one that I've never seen before on a VM... the VMware drivers are not available for the keyboard and mouse..... I've just re-installed VMware tools..... made no difference

I can RDP Console to the VM.

Message was edited by: java_cat33

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK - I've sorted it. It was a registry setting set by a vbscript as part of a Pre-citrix install. It was the first time I've ran it on a VM - now I know only to run it on the blades :smileygrin:

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Glad you were able to work through it -

0 Kudos