VMware Cloud Community
bquigley
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install VMware tools after vCenter Converter (Standalone) conversion of workstation running XP 32 SP3?

I have converted a physical workstation running 32-bit XP prof SP3 to a virtual guest and attempting to run on my VMware Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735. When attempting to install VMWare tools it does not automatically start, which I have seen before because of the disabling of autorun, etc. But even when I attempt the manual install as per the VMware instructions, by navigating to D:\setup\setup.exe, assuming that "D:\" is the 1st virtual CD-ROM drive, the image from which the tools would install is not there?

Can anyone help point me to some documentation on this? Is there a way to manually mount the image under VMware workstation to install the tools? I have looked though the on-line documentation but haven't been able to find a solution for this particular problem. Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you try by removing the virtual cdrom from the virtual machine and add/connect it back again. Now try to install the vmware tools.

Else your can search for the tools iso file (I think it should be windows.iso) within your VMware Workstation installation directory, mount that iso manually.

bquigley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I had already tried mounting the 'Windows.iso' file from the VMware workstation app directory, which did not work. But removing the CD-ROM completely from the vm, rebooting, shutting the vm guest down, then re-adding CD-ROM as "AUTODETECT" - then installing the VM tools worked!! Thanks for your help!!

0 Kudos