VMware Cloud Community
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Cannot create WIN2K3 VM

Hello all,

I am currently running ESX 3.0.2 build 52542, VIC 2.0.2 Build 62327. I can create WIN XP VM's all day long, when I attempt to create a WIN2K VM I get "Invalid configuration for device '4'" error. What gives? I previously had ESX 3.5 on this same hardware, I re-installed 3.0.2 because my eval license was about to expire. When I installed 3.0.2 it was from a clean install. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are trying to create a VM on a local storage on ESX host right? You can't do it from the VC connection, you have to create the VM when connected directly to the ESX host.

When you are using the VC connection you have to create VM's on shared storage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CB1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you creating the VM from Windows Media? or from a Template? If you are using a template then there is probably an iso or flp file attatched to the template. You will need to convert back to a VM disconnect anything that you have attached and convert back to template and try again.

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When I right click in my datacenter and choose New Virtual Machine... I go through all the steps in creating a Windows Server 2003, then I get the error. But if I choose Windows XP pro it goes through just fine.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are trying to create a VM on a local storage on ESX host right? You can't do it from the VC connection, you have to create the VM when connected directly to the ESX host.

When you are using the VC connection you have to create VM's on shared storage.

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

RParker,

Awesome! You are correct, I did not realize that. Points have been awarded, thank you for releiving my frustration.

0 Kudos