VMware Cloud Community
ts9999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you edit the .vmx file using 'Datastore Browser'?

Hi,

I need to edit the .vmx file for a VM, and I was wondering if it was possible, and safe of course to do so using the Datastore Browser.

I assume that I can just shut the VM down, download the .vmx file, edit it using notepad, rename the old .vmx to .bak, upload the edited .vmx, then add the .vmx to the inventory before booting the VM back up.

Is this correct?

Tony.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualRed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tony

I have used the method you mentioned for editing vmx files on a number of occasions and its always worked fine for me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, you can't edit the .vmx via the Datastore Browser directly, you have to download it (or use WinSCP, right click on the file and choose "Edit").

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
ts9999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply... so will the process that I have detailed at the top of this post work?

Regards,

Tony.

0 Kudos
VirtualRed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tony

I have used the method you mentioned for editing vmx files on a number of occasions and its always worked fine for me.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, that is correct. But you only need to rename the file if you want to keep a copy.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
ts9999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys...

Tony.

0 Kudos