atc
Contributor
Contributor

Can't log into domain from different snapshot

I accidentally reverted back to a previous snapshot and could not log into the domain anymore.

Two questions, 1) why isn't there a confirmation before the revert process starts and 2) how do I log back into the VM to the domain with my domain acct? The computer account and SID should still be the same in AD. It somehow lost its AD association.

In another VM, I did a go to previous snapshot but once I go to the newest snapshot, I could no longer log into the domain either.

Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

I accidentally reverted back to a previous snapshot

and could not log into the domain anymore.

Two questions, 1) why isn't there a confirmation

before the revert process starts and

We have all been asking for this for awhile... Submit a feature request to your VMware sales guy Smiley Happy

2) how do I log

back into the VM to the domain with my domain acct?

The computer account and SID should still be the

same in AD. It somehow lost its AD association.

The AD password for the VM changed, you will need to remove and re-add to the domain to resync the password.

Thomas H. Bryant III
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

) how do I log back into the VM to the domain with my domain acct? The computer account and SID should still be the same in AD. It somehow lost its AD association.

You VM's computer account password probably changed between snapshots. You can leave and then rejoin or you can try NETDOM RESETPWD

If this VM is for test you can use the following reg change to disable computer account password changes.

\[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]

"DisablePasswordChange"=dword:00000001

atc
Contributor
Contributor

I can't login locally (no local acct - security restriction) to rejoin the domain so guess I'll have to try that command later. Thanks for the tips.

0 Kudos
jcayer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disconnect the network. This will allow you to login with a cached domain account. Then create yourself a local admin account.

Perform steps above.

Josh

0 Kudos
atc
Contributor
Contributor

Disconnect the network. This will allow you to login

with a cached domain account. Then create yourself a

local admin account.

Perform steps above.

Josh

This works fine for our workstations as we have cached access but on servers, our security policy set in GPO prohibits me from cached login. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
atc
Contributor
Contributor

The NETDOM RESETPWD didn't work. For one, I need to be logged in to that server's command line to execute the command. Can't run it from remote.

Finally, I managed to get my security staff to log into the server with the local admin account. Now that I'm logged in locally, I tried the NETDOM RESETPWD command again but keeps getting, "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" although I was able to ping the DC.

With all else failed, I just unjoin and rejoin the computer back to the domain. Works fine after that.

0 Kudos
TalioGladius
Contributor
Contributor

remove it from the domain and re-add it.

0 Kudos