VMware Cloud Community
stanmorsky
Contributor
Contributor

Can't add more than 4 GB RAM to VM on ESX 3.0

Hi,

I increase it to 5 GB on the VM and reboot. It sees the additional memory, but loses the network card after the reboot. I have

tried this on two VMs on different ESX servers and both had the same behavior. After I set it to 4 GB and reboot everything works

fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

What guest OS do you use (32 bit / 64 bit)?

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
stanmorsky
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry forgot to add that. Windows 2003 Enterprise, 32 bit. I added the /PAE switch in the boot.ini file.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

SP2 or R2?

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Did you set the OS Type properly to Windows 2003 enterprise? Only enterprise edition is capable of addressing over 4GB IIRC and just setting it to 2003 server would likely limit the address space available.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
stanmorsky
Contributor
Contributor

One is:

Windows 2003 R2

Enterprise

SP2

Other is:

Windows 2003

Enterprise

SP2

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
stanmorsky
Contributor
Contributor

Yes both are set to Enterprise.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You moved from standard addressing to PAE, and I believe if you run repair on the installation (with 5G RAM) then it will work fine.

But when you run the repair, skip past the first screen and pretend you are installing a NEW OS. Once it gets to the point where it identifies the harddrive and destination partition it should give you option to delete previous OS or repair. That's where you press 'R' to repair the existing OS. It will take the same time as a new install, but that should fix the problem.

0 Kudos
stanmorsky
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! I will try this.

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you installed VMware Tools? If you haven't the system will still be using the AMD PCnet driver, in stead of the vmxnet driver.

PAE affects the way PCI devices are addressed by drivers. It is possible that the AMD PCnet device/driver doesn't cope with this. (At least, this is apparently the case for many distro's in the Linux world.)

0 Kudos
stanmorsky
Contributor
Contributor

I had not. Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
stanmorsky
Contributor
Contributor

I had not. Thank you!!

0 Kudos
stanmorsky