secured2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't Install XP SP3 on ESXi 3.5 u4 using LSI Logic

I'm a fairly knowledgable techie.

ESXi v3.5u4

LSI PCI Fusion-MPT Miniport Driver 32-bit

Windows XP Professional w/SP3 32-bit (direct from MSDN)

I am looking for a explanation of why Windows Setup can't find hard drives using the LSI Logic adapter when the proper drivers are loaded. I have downloaded and created 2 floppy images for the correct LSI drivers for 32-bit XP.

version 1.20.18.00

version 1.28.03.00

I can start a fresh VM, get Windows setup to load, press F6, and load the driver without error. Once Windows starts, I get the error Windows can't find any Hard Drives. What's going on here? I mounted an OpenBSD 4.5-current ISO and looked at the dmesg and sure enough it found the LSI adapter and hard drive just fine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To be honest, I don't remember where I got it, I've had it for awhile now.

please consider awarding points by marking answers as "correct" or "helpful"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try to create a new VM, but create it as "custom", choosing the LSI driver during the initial creation process. Once the VM has been created power it on, when prompted for 3rd party, it f6 and try to attach the driver i uploaded, it's what we use for our XP VM's and seems to work just find

secured2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. The attached lsi.flp worked for me. Where did you get these files from? I tried a couple versions as listed in the VMWare documentation directly from LSI's site and they all failed.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To be honest, I don't remember where I got it, I've had it for awhile now.

please consider awarding points by marking answers as "correct" or "helpful"

0 Kudos
secured2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again, I have incorrectly marked your answer as helpful and your recent reply as the correct answer Smiley Sad oops!

I extracted the files on the floppy image and found the following information that may help others if they are having a similar problem.

Windows 2000

WHQL 1.10.02

04-JAN-05

SYMMPI.INF - version 2K.9 (Windows 2000)

Driver Version: 1.09.11

Driver Date: 10/08/2003

0 Kudos
tlindi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can confirm: this works!

after boot F6 complains that flp driver is older but ypu can choose use anyway. See thread

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1388375

T.omi

0 Kudos