VMware Cloud Community
euphony
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Cold migrate a VM

Hi,

I have a VM which is running Windows Server 2003. This is on ESX 3.5 U2 and managed through Virtual Center 2.5. The VM has three disks in total. First two disks are on one VMFS store and 3rd disk on a separate datastore. The server is up and running ok at the moment. When I browse the first datastore I can't see the first two vmdk files for the first two disks. I can see all other files in the VM folder.

I want to migrate this VM to another datastore completely so that all 3 disks are on the same VMFS datastore. But, I can't migrate this as I am getting an error and i think it is to do with no visibilty of first two disks of the VM on the VMFS datastore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

R

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

The Subject line says cold migrating. did you power off the VM? If not i would advice you take a backup of the data from with in the VM as the VMDK files are not visible any more.

When you say the VMDK files of the first 2 disks are missing do you mean the descriptor vmdk files alone or the flat.vmdk files too. If it is the descriptor VMDK files alone they could have been deleted accidentally while the VM is running.

If the descriptor files alone are missing we can try recreate them and have the VM migrated to a different datastore.

-Surya

0 Kudos
euphony
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I have shutdown the server and tried to migrate this VM to another datastore. See the attached document with screenshots to explain the issue better.

Thanks

R

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

I have had this issue in the past and I used VMware Converter to place all my VM's disks on the same new datastore.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

I can see that the VMDK files are not seen in the screenshot. Can you logon to the ESX server and get to the datastore VirtualServer3_SAN and list the files in the directory EHCVSDB01?

-Surya

0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why don't you simply move (copy and delete) the third virtual disk with vmkfstools and reconfigure your VM?

0 Kudos
euphony
Contributor
Contributor

Its the same. I can't see vmdk files.

R

0 Kudos