VMware Cloud Community
ThomasNederman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can not move storage in cold migration or cloning, Vmotion works

We have a problem using cloning and cold migration with realocating the store to a new lun in one of our ESX clusters. We get the errormessage "Can not connect to host". However Vmotion works without realocating the Store, creating, imporing VM's works and all other tasks.

We have a different SAN in this cluster with 2 ESX servers connected throw 2 different FC switches. Only 1 FC path is used. Each switch has 1 connection to each SP. Both ESX servers can see all Luns. However, the WWPN number is different for the SP on each esx host. Could this cause a problem ?

Anyone has a idea of what coould be wrong ?

Thomas Nederman, VCP http://www.thomasnederman.com
0 Kudos
3 Replies
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So long as your lun Ids are consistent that should be fine for vmotion.

I had a similar issue a while back. In my case the problem was caused by the servers having different routes set in dns and routing between the 2 servers. Everything else was fine /etc/hosts matched etc..

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with OPBZ - coldmigration and cloning involve the SC being able to see each other while VMotion requires the VMKERNEL ports to see each other - I would check for routing issues between the SC on the two ESX hosts

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ThomasNederman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help, you are almost right !

I spend over an hour with Vmware support to try and figure this out. The problem came from a IP address change of the host i had made after installation. for the cloning or cold migration it used the previouse IP address of the host for some reason. So i had to remove the 2 hosts from VC and add them again. then it worked.

Very strange thing. All settings in graphical interface where correct. you could only find this issue by looking at vpxa.log

Thanks for your help

Thomas

Thomas Nederman, VCP http://www.thomasnederman.com
0 Kudos