VMware Cloud Community
Shook4Brains
Contributor
Contributor

Can XP embedded and/or WePOS be a guest OS on VI3.5?

We are a software development firm that does work revolving around "modified" point of sales systems. I'm like to setup several of these for the dev guys to test on but I'm wondering if I can create a guest running XP embedded. Anyone done this yet?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I can't see any reason why not, you may have to do a P2V using VMware Converter, but technically XPe is only a cut down version of standard XP. create your guest as XP guests and when converting use the LSI drivers to get them running, it may be eaiser to utilise VMware Server at this can have a IDE disk in the Guest, ESX only supports SCSI disks for guests.

from a development point of view the guests created on VMware server would minic your real world devices better.

"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid." - David Hackworth

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Shook4Brains
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Tom. I'll give a whirl and will post the results.

0 Kudos
PWILSON
Contributor
Contributor

I have found the following solution on the net. I have not yet tried it out. Has anyone else tried this?

0 Kudos