VMware Cloud Community
banane
Contributor
Contributor

Can I change from independent-persistent mode back to normal (non independent) ?

Hi there,

I have a serious problem. I have build some VMs with one ore more disks in independent-persistent mode (checkbox enabled after creation via vCenter). Now I have to migrate these VMs to our new storage system/datastore. No problem, lets do it via storage-vmotion as I did with all the others. Nice thought.

As storage-vmotion does not work with independent disks (I simply was not aware of that) my plan is to shutdown the VMs, uncheck the independent option, start the VM again (as minimal downtime as possible) and then do a smooth storage-vmotion during low-load times.

Can I change the mode of a disk without impact to the data on it? Or do I have to consider more things about that?

Thank you for any hints about that.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

don't worry - just remove the independent-persistent flag

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

banane
Contributor
Contributor

sorry continuum, I've hit the wrong button. You should have received the points for correct answer.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

don't worry - solving your problem is what counts 😉

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos