Contributor
Jump to solution

CPU

Hi,

I have ESX server with AMD Dual core 2.6 GHZ, on which i have three VMs ,

one with 1 vCPU and cpu resource limit set to 1300 Mhz

Second with 1 vCPU and cpu resource limit set to 2600 Mhz

and third 2 VCPU and limit set to 5200Mhz

But when i enter the guest OS (win2003 server) and click on my computer properties all show Processor as 2.61 Ghz.

Could you pls tell how is this? does none of the VM has impact of the limit set.

Thanks,

Amit

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cf13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows guest OS always sees physical cores of CPU, for example 2 VCPU means 2 cores.

So in your environment, two of your VMs should show in Device Manager "Processors" tab one 2,6 GHz CPU and the third VM - two 2,6 GHz CPUs.

Limit means upper limit that VM can get. It does not affect what Windows display but it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The guest O/S in your VM sees the physical CPU which is a 2.6 GHz - it does not know about limit being imposed by the VMkernel but it will only receive the number of cycles allocated by the set limit and in the case of the dual vCPU VM each vCPU is only scheduled to a single core which is a 2.6 GHz core -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
cf13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows guest OS always sees physical cores of CPU, for example 2 VCPU means 2 cores.

So in your environment, two of your VMs should show in Device Manager "Processors" tab one 2,6 GHz CPU and the third VM - two 2,6 GHz CPUs.

Limit means upper limit that VM can get. It does not affect what Windows display but it works.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VM always see CPU at full speed. 1300 MHz limit means only that ESX will give time slice amount equal to 1300MHz exclusive usage. After you normalize that, when you give 100% load to this particular VM, you will see 50% load (1300/2600) on one core.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos