VMware Cloud Community
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CPU affinity setting

I have an esx host running v4.0 update 4.  It recently crashed with PSOD and mentioned an issue with PCPU8.  So I want to test out this PCPU8 onthis esx host by using cpu affinity.  I want to put a test VM on this esxt host and then set cpu affinity on this VM to run on PCPU 8 and then max out cpu on the VM and then see what happens.

The esx host has 4 processor sockets, and 6 cores per socket, so it has 24 CPU cores.

So i wanted to know how i would set the cpu affinity on this VM would it be by processor socket such as 1 for processor 2 (as core 8 would be on this socket), or would be 8 to identify core processor 8.

Just need to identify what value to be put in the cpu affinity setting.  ANy advise

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It shoudl be CPU 8 - because you will want to set the affinity to match the pcpu/core number

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here is a nice article that can guide you configure affinity in your CPU.

http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/feature/Configuration-of-the-virtual-machine

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos