VMware Cloud Community
timway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best Practice for CentOS (5.3)

Hello,

I'm looking to run CentOS 5.3 in an ESX 3.5 / VI 2.5 environment. What selection is considered best practice for this OS during the VM creation phase? Should I set it to Red Hat Linux Enterprise 5 or should I do Other 2.6.x - 32 bit?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

CentOS aims to be 100% binary replica of upstream. For all intents and purposes, its RHEL SRPMs with artwork removed and a few extra CentOS packages added.

Chose RHEL vm's and use the RHEL rpm for tools. One thing you may want to do is edit the /etc/init.d/vmware-tools and change the order of start/stop. After all this time, I don't know why they put K08vmware-tools when K90network which causes things like postfix to fail to stop...

hth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

CentOS aims to be 100% binary replica of upstream. For all intents and purposes, its RHEL SRPMs with artwork removed and a few extra CentOS packages added.

Chose RHEL vm's and use the RHEL rpm for tools. One thing you may want to do is edit the /etc/init.d/vmware-tools and change the order of start/stop. After all this time, I don't know why they put K08vmware-tools when K90network which causes things like postfix to fail to stop...

hth

0 Kudos
timway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Ritmo2k

0 Kudos