VMware Cloud Community
Rachitk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Backup taking too much space

I'm having a VM with C drive (83.6 GB free of 129 GB) and D drive (353 GB free of 389 GB)

On taking a backup of my virtual machine through Vmware vCenter Converter , it was found that total backup taking 448 GB space on external source.

Please help me understanding this why it is taking so much space.

VM.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rachitk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually we are using Vmware Converter to convert the virtual machine to .vmdk file on external hard drive. But it was found that space it is using to make .vmdk file on external hard drive is too much high. Procedure which we are opting is also attached.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Converter is not a backup tool and its purpose is not to create copies of VMs but rather to convert them to a destination format.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I agree with daphnissov​ that VMware Converter is not designed as a backup tool.

Anyway, in order to help finding an answer to your qustion, please provide some details about the settings - especially the target VM/disk format - that you are using for the conversion.

André

0 Kudos
Rachitk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually we are using Vmware Converter to convert the virtual machine to .vmdk file on external hard drive. But it was found that space it is using to make .vmdk file on external hard drive is too much high. Procedure which we are opting is also attached.

0 Kudos
TarunPathak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also facing the same problem,it is taking too much time to convert and converted filed have very huge size.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you may try to do is to zeo out currently unused diskspace from within the guest OS using e.g. sdelete.

André

0 Kudos