VMware Cloud Community
gloawyn
Contributor
Contributor

Backing Up VMs with ARCserve 11.5 SP3 Windows Agent

Hello everyone,

I've got VI3.5 and ARCserve 11.5 SP3

I'm trying to backup my virtual machines using arcserve client installed on each of them. I also backup some physical machines.

Every morning when I check the logs I see that there's a network error E3392 0x274c (basically: timeout) on each virtual machine backup sessions and not for the physical machines.

Have you seen this problem or know what I could look for first to troubleshoot this?

Thanks alot for your interest.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JimKirk
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem

0 Kudos
caciolli
Expert
Expert

I use BAB 11.5 SP3 with no issue but I have seen that error sometimes (rarely. 1 or 2 times per year).

I suppose this is due because my jobs use Multiplexing and sometime the Gb bandwitdth gets full.

Try to change the nodes backup order inside your job whatever you are using Multiplexing or not.

0 Kudos
JimKirk
Contributor
Contributor

I don' use multiplaxing option

tomorrow, I would like to follwing this document.

http://supportconnect.ca.com/sc/kb/techdetail.jsp?searchID=TEC266855&docid=266855&bypass=yes&fromscr...

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor

I am using arcserve 11.5 sp3. We run the client agent inside the virtual machines also. I get the same errors that you get. I also get them on the physical servers as well but less frequently. On full backups on the weekend I may get 10 failures for vms and 1 physical. I will try some of the fixes listed in the ca support article and post if it helped. Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
caciolli
Expert
Expert

I found once again this error and resolved changing MaxSendPacketSize value. I am using BAB 12 and changed the value from the default 2048 to 1024 (different versions use different values).

The backup speed changed from 3.5 GB/min to 3.3 GB/min baut never had the issue again.

Forcing the manager not to resolve the client address helped me in some case.

0 Kudos
aspick
Contributor
Contributor

Tried the suggestion here to change MaxSendPacketSize value in the registry on the VM Guests (through the Arcserve client agent parameters in the registry) but unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for us. Have not changed anything at the backup server end yet. This is very frustrating for us as we have approx 36 guests on our vmware 3.5 system and we get E3392 failures every single night on our backups (we have arcserve 12 and we are running with the multiplexing option)

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
coreyclamp
Contributor
Contributor

We have been experiencing the same issue on a few of our VMs for a couple months. Today we resolved it, it was due to the VM guest running VMware tools build 64607 (3.5.0) when it was running under ESX 3.0.1 (32039). You might want to give that a shot.

0 Kudos
bleue
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I download freely the CA ARCserve backup client agent for Windows? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos