VMware Cloud Community
olimones
Contributor
Contributor

Asure the integrity of a clone

Hello, everyone.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

I am in the process of aligning some VMs and one problem that I have encounterd recently is that when I make a hot clone of a VM in production (which i can not shutdown) that aparently has a problem or corruption, I also clone these problemes or corruptions and in case I need it to restore the production machine it does not work. I mean the clonned VM does not start.

Sometimes I get a message while clonning a VM that says that the machine could be corrupted or have a format issue and stops the process. Other times I have the clone but with problems.

One think I could do to make sure that the clone would start is reboot the VM and make sure everything is ok before clonning it. Unfurtunatle I can not do it, and I wonder if there is any software that could help me.

This could be a "boot" process and not a clonning issue.

I hope someone has an advise for it.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Depending on what type of system your cloning it may not be possible to do a "hot clone". If your using software that is constantly writing to the disk, you are going to end up with missing files and corrupt directories/files because of locked processes and files.

0 Kudos