VMware Cloud Community
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone try Windows 2008 R2 in ESX 4 yet?

I have the RTM of Windows 2008 R2 Standard (x64) in our ESX4 environment on a test network, along with a test xp client and a smoothwall linux based firewall/router to allow internet access from our main network into the test network.

Microsoft allows you to try Windows 2008 R2 and you can rearm the 10 day activation grace period 5 times, so you may use it for 50 days to try. I am evaluating this server to see how many licences we want to budget for next year, as we have some servers worth upgrading, and also I would like to up our Domain to 2008 R2.

However I am noticing through vSphere Client that the Windows 2008 R2 OS appears to freeze occasionally. It's happened when creating an OU, adding groups to a user, and even just sitting there doing nothing. It appears as if the mouse and keyboard have no effect. Even the num lock / caps lock states do not change when the guest is in focus. However the Windows XP client can still ping the machine and do remote registry, group policy, etc... so it's not as if the OS is hard locked.... just the I/O is locked. I'm not sure if vSphere is causing this to freeze, but I was just sending a reset to the guest and hard booting it to get working again. So now I enabled remote desktop and will work on this Guest O/S from the XP client via mstsc. I'll let you know if it freezes up that way, but I want to put this post out there to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is apparently a problem with the video driver in the VMware tools for 2008 R2.

Try uninstalling the tools and reinstall without selecting the SVGA driver.

See http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101170.... (applies to 2008 R2 as well).

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1373347#1373347

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

just remember that W2K8 R2 is not a supported guest OS as of yet.

0 Kudos
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok uninstalling the SVGA drivers make sense. I poked port 3389 through my firewall to the test network and I'm RDP'd into the 2008 R2 box. Been working on it for over an hour and not a single lock up, so that makes sense it's the SVGA drivers.

As far as "Officially" being supported, will this come down as a VMWare ESX 4 update or point release after the official launch of 2008 R2? This is an O/S we def. want to put into next year's budget.

0 Kudos
noahhomsky
Contributor
Contributor

All works fine (Full and Core). Just don't install SVGA driver and Shadow Volume Driver. Shadow Volume driver prevents backups with VCB.

0 Kudos
kdc
Contributor
Contributor

I have had no problems with the SVGA driver for R2 it works ok.

I did have to unstall the volume shadow copy driver to let VDR do backups

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How do I uninstall the Volume Shadow Driver? I see a Volume Shadow Copy service, but it is not running.

What will the server be unable to do if this is uninstalled?

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
androidtopp
Contributor
Contributor

I'm definitely having some issues on ESX4i - my Server 2008 R2 VMs boot, run through the windows loading screen (with the scroll bar) and then just sit at a black screen with 100% processor and memory utilization for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour before suddenly being fully booted and responsive. During the pause, they're not pingable or controllable through any means. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I've tried booting the machine with VMware tools all the way installed, with VMware tools less video driver, and with nothing at all, with no luck in any configuration. Once booted, the machine is totally stable - no lock ups or reboots.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
kdc
Contributor
Contributor

Hey mate,

You can uninstall the vss driver by running the uninstaller and just unticking the box for the VSS sync driver.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What uninstaller? VMWare tools? I went into Programs and features, selected it and hit uninstall. It uninstaller the whole G. D. thing. There were no options to just remove a part such as VSS.

0 Kudos
kdc
Contributor
Contributor

When you install or reinstall and you choose custom (during the installation) then you can deselect the VSS sync driver during installation.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Gintonic
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with 2008 R2 on ESXi 4 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos