VMware Cloud Community
kri-2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Age of a VM

Hi,

just wondered if there is a way to get the creation date of a vm.

I could not find anything using the shell (.vmx, vmware-cmd,...), viperltoolkit or the vic.

Any ideas?

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to the queries mentioned in the above thread, you could look at the vpx_event table for event_type vim.event.VmDiscoveredEvent / vim.event.VmCreatedEvent / etc.

You can run SELECT distinct (EVENT_TYPE) FROM VPX_EVENT to get a list of all the events that your VC database has recorded.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would say take a look at the file creation date of the VMX file for the VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I remember this turning up before...

ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was asked that last year and the determination then was ...... no there's no way. The VMX file is not reliable. The date would change every time you make a config change to the VM. In VC 2.5 you can create custom notes fields. One of mine is "VM Creation Date". I'm not sure if you can search on it but, it's a start.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to the queries mentioned in the above thread, you could look at the vpx_event table for event_type vim.event.VmDiscoveredEvent / vim.event.VmCreatedEvent / etc.

You can run SELECT distinct (EVENT_TYPE) FROM VPX_EVENT to get a list of all the events that your VC database has recorded.

0 Kudos
kri-2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thx to all, i will have a look in the database...

0 Kudos