VMware Cloud Community
Magister75
Contributor
Contributor

After P2V, which services to disable?

I converted a physical Compaq Proliant to a VM over a month ago, and have been using it since. So far, so good.

Yesterday however, I got a complaint that a file was inaccessible, and I found that all file shares were inaccessible, yet I could ping the machine.

I opened a VI Client, and connected to it and found that a process -- surveyor.exe had eaten up all virtual memory.

On investigation, I found that this was a Compaq service. I stopped it, disabled it, and rebooted.

I checked the entire list of running services, and decided to also shut down and disable the following:

Compaq NIC agents

VMWare Converter Service

The machine has been running fine since.

Can someone please point me to dox describing what other services are no longer needed when a machine is virtual?

Specifically, I am curious about the following:

NtmsSvc -- Removable storage. Needed on a virtual machine that has no removeable storage?

PlugPlay -- We're not likely to be plugging &/or playing

SimpTcp -- Simple TCP serviices. No idea why this is running.

SNMP & SNMP Trap. Does VMWare use these? I don't.

WZCSVC - Wireless Zero Config. I was surprised to find this running. No wireless anywhere here. Does it do simething else?

Pml Driver HPZ12 -- a description found on the web says "Used by HP Printer/Scanner/Copier printers to prevent Windows from entering hibernation mode.". This is a print server, but will never hibernate anyway. I may disable this to see what happens.

RasAuto/Rasman/RemoteAccess -- remote access services. This is not a RAS server and never was.

HP Status Server / HP Port Resolver. These also look like Legacy stuff.

If anyone has any insight into these, I'd appreciate it.

--Magister

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bill_griffith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might want to take a look at blackviper.com and/or theeldergeek.com. They each have services sections which go into detail about many services. Be aware though that they are typically talking about XP or Vista, but services typically don't have different purposes in different OS's.

Bill Griffith

0 Kudos
Magister75
Contributor
Contributor

No real answer provided

0 Kudos
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I usually uninstalls all vendor specific component, trying to get it as close to a newly created vm. I also remove all unneeded devices left behind from the physical world. There usually only one service I can't remove which I then disable.

jayolsen
Expert
Expert

I remove all HP/Compaq software, also in the network properties unistall the HP nic agents. We leave SNMP as our VMs still show up in SIM.