VMware Cloud Community
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After KB-1008130 Patch losing Heatbeat after snapshot

Hi Guys,

On friday i was installing the I/O Error Fix Patch " KB-1008130. The install was fine and without problems. Now i got the following problem.

If i start a Backup via vcb, the VMWareTools runs and the VMWare-"Tools Status=ToolsOk".

The snapshot is done and the VMwareTools get the state "Not running"

so the backup cannot work successfull! If i start the vmware tools manually the same effect appears.

any ideas?

stony007_de

0 Kudos
77 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Can you please confirm if the same operation working fine on another host without the patch applies , and also if you could upload the vcb/vmkernel logs that would help diagnose.

Thanks,

Samir

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry, all my hosts are updated! and the error appears on all hosts.

what a log is usefull?

in vmkernel an vpxa are no mesages to this error.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Do the VMs say VMware-Tools is running?

Did you check the vmware.log files for the VM?

If you do 'service mgmt-vmware restart' from the CLI as root, does the tools show properly?

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

No, after the backup snapshot is done, the VMWare-Tool-Service is running, but the VI the Tool-Status is "not running".

I think the VI loose the Heatbeats from the machine.

If i restart the Service in the V, the status changed to "ToolsOk", the same appears if i do a 'service mgmt-vmware restart on CLI!

any ideas?

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Is this a Microsoft or VMware patch? I am not familiar with that name. I.e. did you patch the VM , VCB proxy , or ESX host?

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

its an VMWare ESX patch!! (--> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1008130...!

to fix the problem i should install the patch on all ESX Hosts.

With this install, there is an new version of the VMWare-Tools, but to information in the client vm that a update is nessesery.

For an test i updated them, but the result is the same!!

0 Kudos
Morten_Dalgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After installing the latest patches which put me to build 143128 from 130xxx something i'm experiencing the exact same problem.

I restart mgmt-vmware service on all my ESX hosts, and all VMware tools status shows up as ToolsOK

Then it stays like that, right until VCB runs. The moment it takes the snapshot, tools status changes to Not Running but only on some machines. It seems to be the same machines every time, but there are no particular difference in their configuration that might explain why it is only those that are affected. I tried updating VMware tools on those machines, but that makes no difference. Logging into/logging off the guest OS will oddly enough spark VMware Tools, and put it back to showing ToolsOK status, but only for a short while, then it goes back to Not Running.

Checking the performance stats shows that all the VM's are still returning hearbeats even when the VMware console says that tools are not running.

Taking a normal snapshot does not trigger the problem, only VCB does, so i guess it has something to do with the SYNC driver, or at least the interaction with VMware tools in the guest OS when VCB runs.

The only thing that seems to put it back to normal, is to restart mgmt-vmware.

This is a pretty major problem as when tools are not running (well they are, but status in VMware console shows otherwise), my backups start failing, so i have to restart mgmt-vmware after every backup.

0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So in this case, im happy that i am not alone with this problem!

I contact HP VMWare Suppor and they don't kown about any other enviroments with this error!

i can't accapt to restart the mgmt-vmware server afer a backup!

i don't beleave in SyncDriver! in most of my VMs i use the vss driver and they are influenced too.

0 Kudos
VMegalodon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem after i installed the latets ESX patches.

Hope VMWare come with a fix soon.

Before these updates i never had this problem.

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Guys,

Have you raised a support ticket with VMware. If not can you do that.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

:smileygrin: i am not alone!!! :smileygrin:

will contact the vmsupport an tell them, that the problem is not on our site!!!

0 Kudos
VMegalodon
Contributor
Contributor

Can i do a service mgmt-vmware restart on an ESX Host while there are VM's running?

0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes of course! the vi can lose the connection for few seconds, to the host, but the vm will not touch.

0 Kudos
VMegalodon
Contributor
Contributor

OK thnx, i will log a call with VMWare

0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yeah!

and tell us the result of your call. Maybe you got success..

0 Kudos
turkina
Contributor
Contributor

I have this issue as well and am anxious to see it fixed!!!!!

Serves me right for not waiting at least a month to apply a VMware patch. I would've thought they'd learned their lesson from the time debacle.

VCP3/4/5, VCAP5-DCA
0 Kudos
Donnyh5
Contributor
Contributor

Any new info on this problem???

I have the exact same issue in out test enviroinment after applying the lastest ESX patches. I logged a case with VMware. Oddly enough they seemed surprised I was having this issue. If you take a look at the release notes for Update 3, this issue was supposedly fixed.

0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do a little workaround! i add an string into the "Postexec" for the backupjob!

In thist string i restart each VMWare-Tools-Service of the machine where the backup is done!

I think it should be possible to add an post-thaw in each vm to restart the VMWar-Serverice.

so we are waiting for VMWare!!

0 Kudos
VMegalodon
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i thought they would have learned fom the Timebomb issue, next time i will surely wait for at least a month before installing the patches...

When i have a solution from VMWare i will post it here!

good luck everyone

0 Kudos