VMware Cloud Community
steven_tolson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding storage and new scsi controller causes existing NIC to become ghosted

Hello,

I have two Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 VM's which each have two network cards configured to connect to separate networks. When I add additional hard disks (RDM's) connected to a new SCSI controller and reboot the VM one of the existing network cards disappears (it becomes a ghosted card) and a new network card with default config appears in it's place.

The outcome is I have to go through the process of removing the ghosted network card and reconfigure the new card with the correct network settings and connect to the correct port group.

Anyone know why this is or how to avoid it?

Virtual Center 2.5.0 build 119598

ESX Server 3.5.0 , 123630

Latest VMtools installed on the VM's

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello. Check out this kb article for more information on this.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello. Check out this kb article for more information on this.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Basically, to avoid this, you have to add your storage first, before you configure networking. No other way around it. SCSI controllers are always loaded before NICs.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
steven_tolson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks to both of you for your helpful responses.

Looks like a slight change to my build process will be necessary.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
SimonStDenis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a Windows 2003 Cluster. Since a add this SCSI Controller, my nic is ghosted. My cluster service won't start. I tried to recover it without succes. I aslo tried to setup to new one like the old one... also without success.

Any cue to reactive my cluster node or to recover my old nic?

0 Kudos