VMware Cloud Community
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding USB Controller

I am trying to add a USB controller to my virtual guest ( Windows 2003 Standard with updates) by going into the infrastructure client, edit settings on that device, and selecting ADD so I can select the type of device I want to add. Unfortunately i don't see USB controller there. How do I get it to show so I can add it. The esx Server (ESX 3.5) (HP DL380 G5) does have USB on its hardware. Any and all help on this would be greatly helpful.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is because USB is not supported by ESX - the easiest way to do this is get a network based USB hub like this one from digi -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
demz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

MAHC,

USB is not supported by ESX, so your VMs cannot see USB peripherals...

You can (but still not supported) mount USB drives in the ESX COS but that's all.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is because USB is not supported by ESX - the easiest way to do this is get a network based USB hub like this one from digi -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have came across this same answer for older versions of ESX but I didnt for the 3.5. So is there any other methods out there that I can use to get my USB device (hardware license) to work. I have looked into software apps like USB over Network ( didn't see the license key) and my ESX server didn't see the USB device when i had plugged it in. Do I need to restart the ESX server for it to see this device?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

even if the ESX does not pass the USB to the VM so even if it did see it the VM would still not get access to it -

MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was looking for a hope that there would be a way around that. Thanks for your help on this and it looks like I am putting in an order to my hardware vendor.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if its any consolidation by using a network based USB hub you will be able to vmotion the vm -

0 Kudos
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is a very good point that if the mounting would work it would be static to that ESX server.

0 Kudos