VMware Cloud Community
pinkerton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Activate multiple VMs with Windows Server 2008 Datacenter OEM?

As far as I know even the OEM versions of Windows Server 2008 allow you to run unlimited virtual machines on the physical host that is licensed with Windows Server 2008 Datacenter. However, how would I activate multiple instances of the OEM versions without Multiple Activation Keys? As far as I know OEM versions only come with one key - which can one be activated once (at least over the Internet).

Do I have to call Microsoft everytime I want to activate a virtual machine with the same key? Anybody using this scenario?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

You will need to contact MS for this.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to the Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

OEM versions are not any different than Retail versions of Windows. The only difference is the vendor pre-installs the software, and they provide support. Datacenter includes 4 licenses for VM's. You wouldn't install Datacenter as a VM anyway, you will install Windows Standard 2008. And it doesn't mean you lose your licenses, MAK means you get a block of licenses, when that block runs out THEN you can call Microsoft to get more, and depending on your agreement that may or may not incur a cost.

But you still should call MS and ask them how you should handle this.

0 Kudos