VMware Cloud Community
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Accurate Performance Monitoring VM - perfmon?

wondered if I could pick your brains on monitoring VM performance accurately? A project I am working on is preparing for SVT, during this time we have to monitor the VM's and prove they do not go over 25% CPU utilisation over say a period of 30 minutes. From what I can gather the standard windows perfmon is not accurate enough for this? I have run esxtop in batch mode and imported the results into perfmon. From there I have imported various counters but im struggling to find which ones accurately depict the CPU usage of the individual VM's. I know CPU ready should be below 5% which it is.. the other counter which I think depicts VCPU usage is: VCPU VMNAME:xxx:vmm0:VMNAME This seems accurate however the minimum value is 35 and I know it has gone below that so im doubting it. Please could you let me know how best to monitor the CPU usage of each VM over a period of time?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I don't have a specific answer, but you may want to take a look at Veeam Monitor

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-monitoring.html

0 Kudos
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Finally figured it out.. the reason it only shows 35% is because thats 35% of whats allocated... it always tries to maintain this level..

0 Kudos