VMware Cloud Community
brienk
Contributor
Contributor

Accidental reverting to Snapshot

Hi,

I am in serious trouble due to an accidental click onto the 'revert to snapshot' button. I found swwoodward's blog / article on how you can retreive the recent files worked on since setting up the last snap shot but am a little wary of actually making the changes to the .vmx file as mentioned in his article for fear of not being able to get back into windows. Has anyone else come across this problem? If so i would love to hear from you or from anyone who has knowledge on this topic.

Regards,

Brien

Sydney, Australia

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Brien

welcome to the forums, I am moving this to a different forum.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

this article is from 2005 - it may be outdated.

Why don't you explain the extact problem - maybe there is something else you do .

If you want me to look into theproblem please go to sickbay and send the data I ask for.

Ulli

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
brienk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ulli,

Thank you for your reply. Would it matter that I have been working again in the old snapshot for

the past 7 days?

Regards,

Brien

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

yes -- that matters - in other words - case can be closed

now you can only extract single files unless you are very very lucky - next time read sickbay rules first

0 Kudos
brienk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ulli,

Thanks for that although disapointing. I should have waited until i heard from someone but didn't know

how long i had to wait for. The vmware support desk here in sydney was not helpful at all.

Just in case i can recover single files i attach the requested help-request list, all files under 100kb and

the following listed additional files in the vm directory-

Windows Vista 2.vmdk, 27 oct 08 10.31pm, 34,408,384 kb

Windows Vista 2-000002.vmdk 18 jun 09 9.27pm, 16,501,696 kb

Windows Vista 2 10 jun 10.21am, 1,642,496 kb (VMEM file)

Windows Vista 2-snapshot1 27 oct 08 10.38pm, 1,642,496 kb (VMEM file)

Windows Vista 2.vmss 18 jun 09 8.51pm, 18,644 kb

Windows Vista 2-snapshot1 27 oct 08 10.38pm, 17,581 kb (VMSN file)

Applications Folder 27 oct 4.12pm

Windows Vista 2.vmdk.lck Folder 18 jun 09 8.51pm

Windows Vista 2.vmem.lck Folder 18 jun 09 8.51pm

Windows Vista 2.vmx.lck Folder 18 jun 09 8.51pm

Windows Vista 2-000002.vmdk.lck Folder 18 jun 09 8.51pm

If you can still be of help, i would be most grateful. Should i create a snapshot now for furture use?

Regards,

Brien

0 Kudos
brienk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tom.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Brien

sorry - after checking the report there is nothing I can do.

Also after a week of using the disk there is no chance to undelete the missing snapshot.

Sorry Ulli

0 Kudos
brienk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again Ulli, I will keep you in mind when something like this happens again. So should I take

a snapshot now for future mishaps / frozen screens on boot ups?

Cheers,

Brien

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you need the snapshot you currently have ? - the best way to prevent accidentaly hitting "revert to snapshot" is not having one in the first place Smiley Wink

So if you do not need to revert the one you have I would merge the snapshot with the base by using snapshotmanager "delete" function.

Ulli

0 Kudos
ybadr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ulli

I just went through Brien's same problem and lost my updates. Could you tell me the fix you suggested to him?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you read the post ? - there was nothing we could do for him

best you explain your case first

0 Kudos
ybadr
Contributor
Contributor

Ulli,

My case is machine with Redhat Linux. I was using vmware with a WinXP virtual machine when I accidentally clicked the Revert option and lost my updates. What kind of info would help ?

( I haven't tried Data Recovery software on the linux machine)

Thank you.

0 Kudos