VMware Cloud Community
mjlyon
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely Impossible to install ANY guest OS...OS Not Found

Scenario: New Sun 4270, ordered specfically to virtualize and certified from the VMWare HCL.

1. Installation of ESXi 4 (per recommendation, as I am getting started in VMWare on the server side; I have been a Fusion user for quite some time)

2. Regardless of installation method/media, I have been unable to create/install any VMs in any different combination of suggestions.

3. Wiped, installed ESX 4 per documentation.

4. Uploaded new, verified ISOs (that I was able to successfully install from in Fusion and VirtualBox) to the datastore

5. Attempted installation from local media, local ISO, Datastore ISO.

6. Still operating system not found

In the interest of expediency, I have ensured that the devices (regardless of selection) are selected to connect at power-on.

I have included a delay in order to mount the ISO either locally or on the Datastore in a timely manner and have ensured its connection. (I also tried CTRL-ALT-INS as a soft-boot)

Media has been installed, burned,MD5'd and mounted in a variety of other Virtualization and non-virtual platforms.

Are there specifics I am missing in the BIOS (NOT boot order) that may be preventing me from booting properly?

Please help, I am at my wit's end.

"They didn't have any, they don't grow in the desert."

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

I have included a delay in order to mount the ISO either locally or on the Datastore in a timely manner and have ensured its connection. (I also tried CTRL-ALT-INS as a soft-boot)

So the first question is WHERE did you issue this? Remember, you need to access ESXi from a remote system. So you install ESXi on Host A then move to WorkstationB to bring up the vSphere client and create VMs. Then you place the CDROM within HostA and try to access it from within a newly created VM.

Did you 1) Check the CDROM is connected? 2) It is the proper type i.e. NOT CLIENT Device

You could also use the Client Device which is the device in WorkstationB.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
mjlyon
Contributor
Contributor

I issued this from the vSphere console in the terminal view of the virtual machine[s]. Ruling out client issues I'm on fresh client install #18 of vSphere...

I have verified the CD is connected in the ESX host and it shows as 'connected' and 'connect at power-on'. I have the same problem, easily reproduceable on both 'WorkstationB' and 'HostA'. Also, datastore ISOs and local ISOs (from the remote Workstation) have the same problem.

Do I need to add the device in the BIOS? The HDD is the only thing that seems to appear.

0 Kudos