VMware Cloud Community
tatung70
Contributor
Contributor

64 bit VM on ESx 3.01

I am trying to power on my 1st Windows 2003 Server x64 VM on ESX 3.01 with latest patches. When I do, I get an error stating the cpu of the host is incompatible with the cpu feature requirements of virtual machine, problem detected at cpuid level 0x80000001 register 'edx'.

I am running ESX on an HP ML 370 G4 with latest firmware. Processors are the Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz processor.

Any ideas?

I know the 370 can run Windows 64 bit as a physical OS.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

For a 64 bit virtual machine you need EM64T and VT enabled. Does your processor support both? Are they both enabled?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

On top of what VirtualNoitAll says you also need to have enable the VT extensions in the BIOS of the server.

Message was edited to corret lousy spellening by:

tom howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert

ESX Docs say that for running a 64bit guest-OS you need either:

\- an amd 64bit cpu

or:

\- an intel 64bit cpu with VT (vanderpool technology, intel virtualization) enabled because the vmkernel utilizes VT. Without VT you can only run 32bit guest-OSs

So even if the physical host can run a 64bit OS doesn't mean that you are automatically able to run a 64bit guest-OS in ESX.

fejf

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
nayudu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great Info !

?:|

Kishore

Kishore Nayudu, Sr.Technical Trainer.
0 Kudos
WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know HP DL360 G4 and DL380 G4 don't support hardware virtualization. The BIOS doesn't allow enabling VT. The G5 series does support 64bit guests for atleast the DL360 and DL380.

0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

I have 32 bit P4 intel Xeon cpu's which i need to check for 64 bit compatability. Is there any documentation anywhere stating which cpu models do have the Virtulization Technology support? (may be a intel question)

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can download an ISO image from here which will tell you what you CPU will support - http://www.vmware.com/download/shared_utilities.html.

0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

Great! Thanks for that. Now any idea on how to use it? What are the gz extension?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It's a file archive. Open it and you'll have a ISO which you can burn to a CD.

0 Kudos