VMware Cloud Community
ErikErik
Contributor
Contributor

4vcpu on 4CPU host

In the past I always got the advice to avoid 4VCPU's on a 4 CPU host because of the overhead this is causing and possible lock on the 4CPu's.

I want to gather some ideas about this because I think this is controversial ?

Kind Regards

Erik

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Becasue a virtual machine with multuiple vCPU's needs to co-schedule it's requests to seperate physical CPU's simultaneously, you end up with really high ready-times.

Basically a VM can't execute any instructions unless all 4 physical CPU's are free. So even if the ESX host has 2 CPU's idle and available, your virtual machine will not be able to make use of them.

0 Kudos
ErikErik
Contributor
Contributor

The reason why I asked this is based on this paper:

they mention 4VCPU. That's why I wanted to gather some opinions

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I would not even consider a 4vCPU machine unless I had at least 16pCPUs or cores to run against. the overhead due to CPU Ready times on a machine with less CPU/cores would negate any performance benefits you could receive by using 4vCPU.

As Mr T has mentioned you need 4 pCPU/Cores available at the same time to process a single processor cycle in your VM and as CPU0 is utilised by the Service console unless you have a larger number of core or pCPU available you will be waiting for the Service console to release CPU0.

therefore a minimum of 8 logical processors would be needed to guarantee any amount of performance. Just because you can do something does not necessarily mean you should. Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
ErikErik
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. One last question : Is there a risk in counting on the cores and not on the physical CPU's?

0 Kudos
sureshsatya
Contributor
Contributor

this is a gerat idea.....

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by that?

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
ErikErik
Contributor
Contributor

I mean : e.g. an 8 pCPU compared to a 4pCPU with dual Cores

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

no, there was a risk in counting HT cores as they were not complete logical processors, but that is not true with Cores as they are a full CPU.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos