VMware Cloud Community
shimabuku
Contributor
Contributor

3D Acceleration

I have a questions regarding 3D accleration on ESX 3.5.

I would like to install ESX Server 3.5 on my PC which matches the VMware HCL. Within this ESX server I want to implement several XP Pro OS's that will run a 3D app. My question is... can this be achieved? I know that in order to enable 3D acceleration on the guest OS, the host needs to have 3D acceleration. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Your post has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
shimabuku
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone? Can 3D acceleration be achieved on a guest OS using ESX 3.5?

0 Kudos
kusz_wolla
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have similar question. I am running more than one operating systems on my home PC, Windows XP as host, I selected because sometimes I like to play also 3D games or with 3D graphics at all. In vmware workstation 6.5 runs following guest operating systems

• Win2003 for my job works

• Vyatta network operating systems as VPN gateway. I already tried

• Ubuntu system

from point of view on virtualization I want to switch to next level, move from workstation on winXP host directly to ESX server, but I am interested in working with 3d application and games in guest os. Is this possible. I am also interested in any undocumented/beta/tweak solutions about how to do it. I was not able to find anything working via google, so I finished my finding in vmware forum. Maybe here I will find some answers:-)) So Is there any possibility of providing guest os with graphics hardware acceleration on ESX server?

Thank you very much for any info related to.

Ladislav Jech(Czech republic)

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Not with ESX or ESXi - the virtual video card for the VM is simply an SVGA card - if you have an application that requires 3D Acceleration it might not be a candidate for virtualization with ESX or ESXi - it works for the other poster because Workstation (and VMware Server) are host based virtualization products and will the hosts O?S drivers to access the 3D Acceleration -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

You may have some luck with HP, I've seen them do serious video work out of their setup, using HP blades, pointing to HP thin stations, running a proprietary protocol. IIRC they had cad stations running on these.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
kusz_wolla
Contributor
Contributor

great,

I though, that there could be someone who tried to beat this missing feature, although I is very hard to make it..I will try to find something ...and will post it here then..

0 Kudos
kusz_wolla
Contributor
Contributor

hmm,

thanks for very fast response...as far as I know, ESX hase its own microkernel which is derivered from some kind of research project of the foundes. this kernel directly control CPU and memory. But beyond that there is olso module deriverd from standart linux kernel, which is used for communication with other machine devices...So, maybe I see it in very easy way... !http://communities.vmware.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif!..., but for example official linux device drivers from manufacturers could be in very easy way remastered to use with infrastructure...if not, forget it))

but, please, you as employee of VmWare you could know if there are some plans to build graphics hardware acceleration feature intu ESX/ESXi product?

Thank you.

regarding the voting for responses, I see only the 2 text field with 2 options for responses, but I cannot click it, functionality is disabled. Maybe it is related to that fact, that I am totally new user and have 0 points. Or I don't know...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

re. points.. you can only assign points on threads you have started.

re. knowing internal VMware things... he's only recently become an employee (or he has been silent about that for a LONG time :). He might know, but even if he does.. he is not allowed to tell as that is VMware policy. Don't tell anything before official release.

--

Wil

Visit the new VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos