VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

2003 x64 machine take long time to boot up

any idea why a windows 2003 machine x64 bit with 4gb ram and 2 vcpu take a very long time to start up? It stays on Applying computer settings. Its is pingable

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What else do you have running on your ESX hosts?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

its all windows 2003 vms standard 32bit and this 64bit machine. also has 1 FreeBSD. total of 8 vms

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What are the configuration of the 8 other VMs? How many vCPUS? Memory? What is the configuration of your ESX host - number of cores? Memory?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

all dual vCPU and mostly 2GB ram.

the physical host is 8CPU x 3.16 Ghz Xeon. I think its 4 physical CPU dual core.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

If possible reduce the number of vCPU of other VM.

I also see the this is the only 64 bit VM.

Be sure that Virtualization in enable in you BIOS, and (if is old) do also an update.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
RolandK
Contributor
Contributor

VM settings: Did you limit the memory? (edit settings, Resources, Memory)

If yes,what settings you set?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

no everything is unlimited and expandable

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

there are only 8vms on this one server. all have dual vCPUs. Is it better to go with 1vCPU vs 2? Previously we have always used 2vcpus, intel or AMD

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Due to the way vcpus are scheduled best practice is to start with one

and add if only.if required

Sent from my iPhone

On May 20, 2009, at 11:42 AM, "tdubb123" <communities-

0 Kudos