VMware Cloud Community
jplindemann
Contributor
Contributor

2003 Enterprise Japanese can't find hard drive during install

I'm trying to install Windows 2003 Enterprise R2 SP2 (Japanese) on a VM on my ESX Server 3.0.2. Even though I can't read Japanese (which makes this an awesomely fun install experience btw), I've deduced that the final screen is telling me that it can't find a hard drive. The only direction is to hit F3 to reboot, which of course does nothing.

I've tried both LSI Logic and Bus Logic for my SCSI adapter to no avail. Does anybody know where I can get some drivers that will get this install going?

Note: the English version of 2003 Enterprise installs without issue. In fact, I have the English and Japanese installs running side-by-side on two different DMs so I can refer to the English one to see what the Japanese one is asking me to do.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If you create a W2K3 E VM from either the host or VC using the typical right click new virtual machine method, by default the LSI driver will be deployed. W2K3 should be able to pick this up.

You can also try creating the VM using a custom setup, choosing the BusLogic SCSI driver. When you are promtped to hit f6, mount the .flp file. Once the install completes you can change it to LSI.

• Power off the VM you want to change controllers on

• Connect to the Service Console and edit the vmx file for the VM

• Add the following lines to the vmx file o scsi1.present = "true" o scsi1.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

• Power on the VM and it will discover the new SCSI card

• Power off the VM and edit the SCSI Controller settings, change the type to LSI Logic

• Power VM back on, answer Yes for the adapter change message

• Once it boots successfully shut the VM down again (it will have to LSI controllers at this point)

• Edit the vmx file and remove the lines you added above

• Power on the VM again and you will be all set

my two cents.....

0 Kudos
jplindemann
Contributor
Contributor

That's just it - I've tried LSI Logic and it doesn't work. It still doesn't find the hard drive. I'm thinking I'll need to use a driver disk before it even tries that (I think you hit F12 at startup to use a separate driver disk). But I have no idea what the OS is looking for.

0 Kudos
jplindemann
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, scratch that - this is one of the hazards to installing in a language you don't understand. It was asking me to pick a keyboard. The install is actually working now. Thanks all.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

glad to see you got it resolved, would you consider awarding points for useful and helpful information.

Thanks

0 Kudos