VMware Cloud Community
akhlaghi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

10mbps LAN in VM machine under 3i ?

Hi

I converted and Symantec BESR backup using VMWare converter 3.03 and when I start my VM it shows a network card which is connected at speed of 10 Mbps. Is it the way it should work? Is there anyway to increase the speed of virtual lan adaptor?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMware Tools will alter the network card detection and replace the legacy AMD PcNET through an optimized vmnet device.

This will (should) use less CPU and perhaps run faster.

In addition, the installation will allow better control of the guest (memory handling, automatic shutdown/startup, reporting). So generally, it is advised to install the VMware Tools.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your discussion has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I converted and Symantec BESR backup using VMWare converter

What OS exactly did you convert?

>Is there anyway to increase the speed of virtual lan adaptor?

It's a virtual lan adaptor, so its speed is virtual too. It should be handled as fast as the host and the physical nic can do.

But it sounds as this is the lowest standard AMD PcNET nic emulated for this guest. You should install VMware tools inside the guest.

0 Kudos
akhlaghi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What OS exactly did you convert?

It is a Windows Server 2003

It's a virtual lan adaptor, so its speed is virtual too. It should be handled as fast as the host and the physical nic can do.

But it sounds as this is the lowest standard AMD PcNET nic emulated for this guest. You should install VMware tools inside the guest.

Ok , so there should be no problem, but I didnt get the part about VMWare tools, if I install that will that increase speed or what?

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMware Tools will alter the network card detection and replace the legacy AMD PcNET through an optimized vmnet device.

This will (should) use less CPU and perhaps run faster.

In addition, the installation will allow better control of the guest (memory handling, automatic shutdown/startup, reporting). So generally, it is advised to install the VMware Tools.

0 Kudos