VMware {code} Community
Dattu
Contributor
Contributor

vixMntApi on Linux

Hi All,

I am trying to use the VDDK Mount API (VDDK-5.0) to mount the file system of Linux VM which is powered on.

The guest Linux VM (SUSE-11 SP1) has 2 disks. The 1st disk contains the swap and OS partition and the 2nd disk contains a volume with EXT-3 file system. I am trying to open the 2nd disk ONLY which contains the ext3 file system.

The following are the set of function calls that I am using after the necessary initialization

VixDiskLib_ConnectEx()

-          Able to connect to the 2nd disk in the read only mode

VixMntapi_OpenDisks()

-          Able to open the 2nd disk in the read only Mode

VixMntapi_GetDiskSetInfo()

-          Sucessful.

VixMntapi_GetVolumeHandles()

-          Successful

VixMntapi_MountVolume()

However when the VixMntapi_MountVolume() is called with read / write permission I get the following error messages.

DiskSet Info - flags 4 (passed - 4), mountPoint /var/run/vmware/fuse/9381386470237378719/flat.

Num Volumes 1

Log:Mounting Partition 1 from disk <username>@<VC>:[<DATASTORE>] <VM-NAME>/<VM_NAME_1>.vmdk

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail  or so

mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs-3g'

VixMntapi_MountVolume: Failed to mount partition 1 of disk on '/tmp/vmware-root/9381386470237378719_1': The virtual disk does not have any partitions that the host system knows how to mount.

After mount

The virtual disk does not have any partitions that the host system knows how to mount (24010)

When the VixMntapi_MountVolume() is called with read permissions ONLY, I get an error message saying the operation is not permitted.

When I run the same program with read / write permissions when the guest linux VM is powered off, then I was able to successfully mount the file system.

Is the mount of the file system of the guest Linux VM possible when the guest VM is powered ON?

Any pointers regarding the same would be beneficial.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There is no read-only mounting support on Linux. You should open disks with default flag i.e., 0 and also mount volume in read/write mode. As volume is mounted in read/write mode, hence you would not be able to mount powered on Linux VMs.

Hope this helps!!!

-Kumkum

0 Kudos