VMware {code} Community
cyberpaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Essentials and VDDK

Hi all, I ran into an error when trying to access a virtual disk on an ESXi 6.5 with Essentials license (please note - plain Essentials, not Essentials Plus).

I'm using VDDK 5.5.5 to connect to the host directly, the host is not managed by vCenter.

When trying to "VixDiskLib_Open", I get this:

Debug: VixDiskLibVim: Failed to load license manager.

Info: Remote connection established. Supported transport modes: file:san:hotadd:nbdssl:nbd

Debug: VixDiskLib: VixDiskLib_OpenEx: Open a disk.

Debug: VixDiskLibVim: VixDiskLibVim_GetNfcTicket: Get NFC ticket for [Local SATA 1T] DSL test/DSL test.vmdk.

Warning: VixDiskLibVim: Unacceptable server edition esx.essentials.cpuPackage

Debug: VixDiskLibVim: ESX/ESXi host is not licensed to use this feature.

Debug: VixDiskLib: Error occurred when obtaining NFC ticket for: [Local SATA 1T] DSL test/DSL test.vmdk. Error 16064 at 1456.

Error: The host is not licensed for this feature

It seems that the server edition is properly detected (esx.essentials.cpuPackage) but I'm not able to obtain NFC ticket anyway. When I update the host license to ESXi standard, everything works.

AFAIK it should be possible to use VDDK with Essentials edition. Is this correct?

Any suggestions? Thx in advance!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you also tried with VDDK 6.5?

cpatidar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Kindly follow the VDDk Programming guide and see the VDDK Release Notes for specific versions, which change over time.

0 Kudos
cyberpaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi daphnissov, thanks for pointing me to the right direction.

It does work with VDDK 6.5.2!

I was determined to stick with 5.5, because when I'd been testing the original 6.5.0, the VixDiskLib_clone function had required valid host certificates. With 6.5.2 this issue is fixed and everything works as a charm. All I really needed to do was to download VDDK 6.5.2 and change VixDiskLib_InitEx to use it 🙂

I really have no idea how and where you find all the time and knowledge to be so helpful on this forum!

Best regards, Pavel