VMware {code} Community
karthimin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to know the used sapce of vm disk drrive

Hi can any one help me how to know the used space of disk drive in virtual machine i am able get the total space.. but i need to get the used of the vm drive..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thank's for your reply,i will try out today like what you suggested,here my goal is to display virtual machine hardisk drives used space (e.g : like a vm having C drive and E drive ,here i need ti find out the used sapce of both drives) to GUI now i could able to get free sapce using vm properties.

If VMware Tools is running in the VM, you can use the information in the virtual machine's guest structure. Within this structure there is an array of disks that belong to the virtual machine including the capacity and amount of disk used.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Without going into the filesystem(s) on the disks's partition(s), I do not know of a method to get the used space. Can you explain what your goal is (if it is to shrink a disk, you can use workstation / vdiskmanager).

-Sudarsan

karthimin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank's for your reply,i will try out today like what you suggested,here my goal is to display virtual machine hardisk drives used space (e.g : like a vm having C drive and E drive ,here i need ti find out the used sapce of both drives) to GUI now i could able to get free sapce using vm properties.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If VMware Tools is running in the VM, you can use the information in the virtual machine's guest structure. Within this structure there is an array of disks that belong to the virtual machine including the capacity and amount of disk used.

0 Kudos
anykey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if you want an example of this, have a look at VCplus (http://www.run-virtual.com/?page_id=184) and/or VM disk free (written in perl) that uses this guestinfo information to retrieve disk information within the virtual machines.

karthimin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank's to all who posted answers to my question,now i can able to get the used space of vm volume drives.

--Thanks

0 Kudos