VMware {code} Community
raghuram
Contributor
Contributor

VixDiskLib_Read returns error 16007 (VIX_E_DISK_OUTOFRANGE)

Hi,

I am trying to backup a 2GB sized thin provisioned managed disk from a Linux machine. The connection succeeds and I can successfully read data up to first 4MB. Beyond that, I am getting the error 16007 (VIX_E_DISK_OUTOFRANGE) from VixDiskLib_Read(). I have tried to do backup by getting only allocated blocks and when it failed with this error, I switched to reading all the sectors which also fails with same error (for data after 4MB). The log file created by VixDiskLib doesn't have any additional informative messages. I am setting "vixDiskLib.transport.LogLevel" to 9. Is this proper way to set for debug? I would appreciate any idea on debugging this problem.

Thanks,

Raghu

0 Kudos
2 Replies
raghuram
Contributor
Contributor

It turns out that I was passing absolute offset to VixDiskLib_Read() while the expected value is sector number. Once I pass proper sector number as offset, all the reads succeed. I am still interested in knowing the valid debug values for "vixDiskLib.transport.LogLevel".

Thanks,

Raghu

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Glad you could find the problem - 4MB * 512 is 2GB!

Transport debug level would not have given you much insight into this problem, but the log levels for the transport are

Quiet (0)

Panic

Error

Warning

Informational

Verbose

and

Trivia (6)

Thanks

Sudarsan

0 Kudos