VMware {code} Community
richard999
Contributor
Contributor

VDDK utilities on esxi

Hi,

I am trying to mount an esxi host using the vmware-mount command found in the virtual disk manager utility. However when I issue the mount command it tells me I am not licesned to use VDDK. Is this correct for esxi?

Assuming it is, is there an alternative product I could use? I am trying to change my pre-allocated to disks to growable - the ultimate aim being to shrink them.

cheers

Richard

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which edition of ESX do you have? VDDK needs Standard ESX (and above)/ For what you are trying to do, I believe remote cli (VMware Infrastructure Remote CLI) will be enough.

-Sudarsan

richard999
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am using esxi 3.5 update 4. the disks are currently pre-allocated so I believe I need to change them to growable before I can shrink them. I cant mount a drive with vmmount because of a license issue (?) and as far as I can see the RCLI does not allow you shrink disks or change them from pre-allocated to growable - it only extends. If I cant use the vddk utilities because I cant mount them on esxi is there any other alternative?

cheers

Richard

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure why RCLI won't work, you want to look for ways to clone a disk (clone your original disk to a thin disk and then attach these disks to the VM). Perhaps someone on ESX forums will be able to help you better - if you have a single disk per vm, there should be no issues.

Thanks

Sudarsan

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You will also have to have at least a Foundation license of ESXi(3.5). The free version does not allow this type of write access.

0 Kudos