VMware {code} Community
BlackGator
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing VDDK on Vista 64-bit

Hi,

I am running VMWare Server 2 successfully on Vista 32-bit and on Vista 64-bit partitions on my laptop, and am needing to mount my VMs outside of VMWare to automate my virus scanning

After successfully installing and ruuning the latest VDDK on Vista 32-bit, I have hit a problem on trying to instal it on Vista 64-bit. the installation ends with the following message, "The wizard was interrupted before vmware virtual disk development kit could be completely installed".

Can anyone please tell me if there is a workaround? Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tcjarvis
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem trying to install v1.1 of the VDDK on 32-bit Vista. The installation seems to be almost finished (based on the progress bar), when the installation begins rolling back. Afterwards it displays a dialog saying that the installation has been interrupted and to try again. Deciding that I was sane (based on one simple definition of insanity), I've decided to quit trying since the same thing happens over and over again. Has anyone else seen this, or better yet, solved this?

Vista SP1, VI Client installed (2.5.0, build 115598) but no VMWare Server or Workstation.

An older version of the disk libaray was previously installed and worked on this system.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you check if there is anything in the event viewer? Also, installer creates log file at "C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Local Settings\Temp\vixmsi.log" - can you see if there is anything relevant in it?

Thanks

Sudarsan

0 Kudos
tcjarvis
Contributor
Contributor

Sudarsan, thanks for your help with this.

Can you check if there is anything in the event viewer?

Nothing particularly useful there that I could find. Other than an error that the VStor2 service couldn't be started, see below...

Also, installer creates log file at "C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Local Settings\Temp\vixmsi.log" - can you see if there is anything relevant in it?

Ah, here we go - I knew there should be an installer log file somewhere. Here's the failure, installing the VStor2 driver:

MSI (s) (C4:10) : Executing op: ActionStart(Name=InstallVstor2Driver,,)

Action 19:04:37: InstallVstor2Driver.

MSI (s) (C4:10) : Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=InstallVstor2Driver,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=LegacyDrv_Install,CustomActionData=vstor2-mntapi10;Vstor2 vix Disk Tools Virtual Storage Driver;C:\apps\vddk
bin\vstor2-mntapi10.sys;2;1)

MSI (s) (C4:C4) : Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIAA16.tmp, Entrypoint: LegacyDrv_Install

MSI (s) (C4:E8) : Generating random cookie.

MSI (s) (C4:E8) : Created Custom Action Server with PID 2560 (0xA00).

MSI (s) (C4:E0) : Running as a service.

MSI (s) (C4:E0) : Hello, I'm your 32bit Elevated custom action server.

VIEINSTUTIL: Begin install

VIEINSTUTIL: CustomActionData = vstor2-mntapi10;Vstor2 vix Disk Tools Virtual Storage Driver;C:\apps\vddk
bin\vstor2-mntapi10.sys;2;1

VIEINSTUTIL: Attempting to remove vstor2-mntapi10 (stoppable=1)

VIEINSTUTIL: Opened Service Control Manager

VIEINSTUTIL: Failed to open vstor2-mntapi10 (0x424)

VIEINSTUTIL: InstallDriver: params = vstor2-mntapi10, Vstor2 vix Disk Tools Virtual Storage Driver, C:\apps\vddk
bin\vstor2-mntapi10.sys, 2, 1, (no load order), 1

VIEINSTUTIL: Opened Service Control Manager

VIEINSTUTIL: Failed to create vstor2-mntapi10 (0x436)

VIEINSTUTIL: Finish install

Action ended 19:04:38: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

MSI (s) (C4:10) : User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

MSI (s) (C4:10) : Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

MSI (s) (C4:10) : Executing op: Header(Signature=1397708873,Version=400,Timestamp=988780688,LangId=1033,Platform=0,ScriptType=2,ScriptMajorVersion=21,ScriptMinorVersion=4,ScriptAttributes=1)

MSI (s) (C4:10) : Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=0,Argument=1033)

MSI (s) (C4:10) : Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=1,Argument=VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit)

MSI (s) (C4:10) : Executing op: RollbackInfo(,RollbackAction=Rollback,RollbackDescription=Rolling back action:,RollbackTemplate=[1],CleanupAction=RollbackCleanup,CleanupDescription=Removing backup files,CleanupTemplate=File: )

Action 19:04:38: Rollback. Rolling back action:

Rollback: InstallVstor2Driver

I've checked services - there's nothing in there that looks like it should be some other copy of this service/driver.

--

Clark

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The problem seems to be an existing installation (0x436 = 1078)

">net helpmsg 1078

The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.

"

Can you run "net start vstor2-mntapi10" on a command prompt and see the result?

Services panel would not show the vstor2 service. To see this you should use device manager:

Run devmgmt.msc, Under view, select Show Hidden devices, Look for "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" in the tree display, expand it and look for "Vstor2 vix Disk Tools ... ". Right clicking on the node and selecting Properties might show you more details.

Is it possible a reboot will fix this?

-Sudarsan

0 Kudos
tcjarvis
Contributor
Contributor

net start vstor2-mntapi10 -> err 2185, "The service name is invalid."

Yahoo, catch-22.

A reboot hadn't helped, I had tried that.

http://...

Ok, after running devmgmt and uninstalling the device, then running

through the registry with regedit and a registry cleaner and removing

anything that has anything to do with "vstor2" and then rebooting, the

install succeeded.

Thanks, Sudarsan.

--

Clark

0 Kudos