VMware {code} Community
killermachine18
Contributor
Contributor

Prevent vmware-mount.exe run as daemon

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to run vmware-mount.exe without keeping it running as daemon.

Here is what I am doing:

- open cdm

- execute : "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\bin\vmware-mount.exe" Z: D:\VMs\Bla\blub.vmdk

- execute: "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\bin\vmware-mount.exe" /d Z:

Now if I look into the ProcessExplorer the vmware-mount.exe is still running as : "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\bin\vmware-mount.exe /s"

Is there any way to prevent this behavior?

Ciao ciao

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is the expected behavior, the 'daemon' is necessary to service read/write requests from the OS. If you are interested in writing a tool that does not do this, consider using vixDiskLib + vixMntapi.

Thanks

Sudarsan

0 Kudos
killermachine18
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sudarsan,

sorry for a quite late reply.

If there are some vmdks mounted, i would appreciate that the demon is needed. But if there are NO vmdks mounted, what kind of job is the vmware-mount daemon doing?

If think if there is nothing to do for the exe, then it should not be runnig. Just my 2 cent Smiley Wink

One more thing:

The vmware-mount.exe is not flushing all of its output to stdout or stderr. We tried to get the list of the mounted vmdks throught a python scipt and a c# appl. but got nothing.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You are right about not needing to leave the binary running. It is a fairly small footprint however.

Regarding Pyhton script, it may be a problem of the script integration rather than not flushing, we had a similar issue with perl earlier - but was fixed in perl script itself.

-Sudarsan

0 Kudos