VMware Virtual Appliances Community
Rincey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

rPath Port25 - Kernel Panic --OR-- Simple mail server needed

In our small development environment we need a mail server to check that email notifications work. Our Dev environment is 99% isolated from our production network (the only way in is Terminal Services, or Remote Desktop Connection; the only way out is the Local Resource Mapping feature of RDC).

So I thought the best way to provide the developers with email capability would be a virtual appliance.

I looked at rParth's Port 25 and thought that would be the ideal solution. But I'm getting the following:

(last 13 lines)

Mounted /proc filesystem

Mounting sysfs

Creating /dev

Starting udev

Loading jbd.ko module

Loading ext3.ko module

Creating root device

mkrootdev: label / not found

Mouting root filesystem

mount: error 2 mounting ext3

Switching to new root

ERROR opening /dev/console!!!

I did a bit of a google, and found a suggestion that it might be a disktype issue, so change it from BusLogic to LSI (or vice versa).... so I tried that and got the same result (interestingly this idea worked perfectly for another appliance I was taking a look at).

Looking at the console output I'm guessing the "label / not found" is the start of the problems.

I'm running ESX3.0.1 and VC2

I'm more of a win32 sysadmin, but I can follow hints once I've been given a helping hand to point me in the right direction.

I don't necessarily need rPath Port 25 working - but I do really need a mail server - so if someone knows of a better appliance than Port25 then that is fine too...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, I use a free Mail Server called hMailServer http://www.hmailserver.com/ on my Windows host. Works just fine for me, and it's free. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, I use a free Mail Server called hMailServer http://www.hmailserver.com/ on my Windows host. Works just fine for me, and it's free. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Rincey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

That'll do quite nicely Smiley Wink

0 Kudos