VMware Virtual Appliances Community
VMTN_Admin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

rPath Cacti Appliance

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/603

PHP, MySQL, Apache, phpMyAdmin, RRDTool, and Cacti into an easy to use and deploy Appliance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gpa3
Contributor
Contributor

If you want an easy way to deploy Cacti, this is it.

Download the ISO, burn it to a CD and boot from it. Everything is already pre-configured to work.

Bittorrent sucks, so I downloaded from rpath site.

Up and running in about 10 minutes. My boss was very happy with how fast it was deoployed.

Only negative is that Cacti is still not very easy to work with as an app. I don't think it is even at version 1.0

It does graphs, but lowest range is 5 miutes, and no easy way to change that. It would be nice to be able to modify from 5 minutes to any number, such as 15 seconds, without learning to write Cacti code.

Also, it would be nice if it:

1. Interfaced with Windows computers easily for basic stuff like hard disk size left, memory used, etc. It is not intuitive if it does do that.

2. Email Alerts for such things as ping latency above a user's set triggers, like if 300ms (adjustable) or greater ping to a router on a wan happened 3 time (adjustable) or more send an email to admin, and reset after 3 pings (adjustable) under 300 ms.

As it is now, all we can use it for is daily 5 minute graphs without learning Cacti specific programming. I just don't have time to spend all day with one appliance (Cacti) trying to make it do something.

0 Kudos
dudelsack
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to setup this appliance. I am failing miserably going through the rpath configuration to define a statitic IP address. As soon as I restart the service (or reboot the appliance) I am back to DHCP assigned parameters.

Any clues?

0 Kudos
bpja
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure you OK the changes in the rPath Appliance Agent (rAA) web page for changing the network settings. There's been some feedback that the UI isn't as clear as it could be - newer versions of rAA improve this.

0 Kudos
dudelsack
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, I tried it again and made sure I am clicking all the OK buttons in the network config wizard.

Same issue, nothing got applied. I will try to update rpath and see whether that helps.

Message was edited by:

dudelsack

0 Kudos
pldoolittle
Contributor
Contributor

So far, I am unimpressed with this appliance. admin/admin was not the default pwd, config.php specified DB users that did not exist, and while the admin console works, the user/reporting page is unable to be located.

Unless I'm missing an install doc from my archive, I would have spent less time manually installing cacti Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Ren_Dhark
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Spend 6 hours trying to get rPath Cacti running. It just wont work!

Downloaded "Network Management Station - Cacti, Syslog, SNMP Traplog, Apache and MySQL" (VMApp #310) from N3NCY.

No problem, runs fin.

0 Kudos