all-in-one firewall package upgraded with VMXnet, heartbeat and MUI-control

0 Kudos
142 Replies
CescoAiel
Contributor
Contributor

Just have one strange issue left... Smiley Sad

My x-M0n0 is set up like this:

WAN: vmx0 - VMNET0 - Bridged (to main NIC)

LAN: vmx1 - HOST ONLY

OPT1: vmx2 - VMNET4 - Bridged (to USB NIC)

All works fine at boot time, but regularly (not yet sure whether it is time related or other actions cause this!) I lose the ('for management') connection through LAN (HOST ONLY virtual NIC), and reboot is the only solution...

I use VMw Server on Ubuntu Edgy Eft (6.10) as host...

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

that's a weird one. i use ubuntu 6.04lts with vmware server 1.0.3 myself and never have any network issues.

i think this is one for the vmware server forum list. there seem to be some issues with host only networks and idle timeouts. not sure about that though. you could try to setup a ping that sends out one ping every minute or so.. see if that helps.

0 Kudos
CescoAiel
Contributor
Contributor

Neither do I on the normal network connections... It's just the HOST ONLY net that dies on me...

Trying a ping is a good idea... I'll test and let you all know! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
superwopguy
Contributor
Contributor

I can't get this to work.

I am using vmware server 1.03. Whenever i start up the virtual machine I get a black screen and it just hangs there.

Please help me start this virtual machine up.

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

that's really very little to go on. did you download the torrent from the appliance directory from vmware or from the link with the newest version? what's your host setup like? did you read the included .pdf file? did you check the vmware.log? try posting that here, perhaps there's something in there to work with.

0 Kudos
superwopguy
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I can now see the VM load up. But now I cannot access the web site. What website do I go to to access the X-monowall web gui? Also, yes I did download the latest version from your website but their was no PDF instructions. I got the latest version here: .

Is that right.

Can you please help me?

Brugh, I will pay you to support me. Please send your phone number to my email here:

0 Kudos
superwopguy
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Brugh,

Can you remote into my PC to help me. I will pay you for your help.

What is a number I can call you at?

Thanks,

Vince

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the pdf file is located on the same site as the one you downloaded the appliance from. here's the link: http://www.xs4all.nl/~brugh/appliance.pdf

things should become clear if you read that so there's no need to hire me to fix it Smiley Wink saves you paying my regular fee of EUR 130,-/hour.

also if you open the console of the appliance, you have the option to change the ip address there. and if you still can't connect, be sure your appliance is plugged into the same network as your client.

0 Kudos
superwopguy
Contributor
Contributor

How do I increase the max pptp connections?

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

at the moment i dont think you can. not sure if that will be built in any time soon. this is actually a question on the monowall functionality. you can try if you have any more questions like that.

can we assume you got the it up and running then?

0 Kudos
rybred
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, i've got a unique request and i'm hoping it can be done. Similar to one of the other guys here i want to run the m0n0wall on vmware server installed on a windows machine (this is Vista 32bit on a brand new Core2 Duo laptop).

I originally started trying to set up pfSense to do this but I stumbled upon this vmWare app and am hoping this will do what I need it to do. I want to force all internet bound traffic to go through the m0n0wall and i want to use the m0n0wall to act as a vpn gateway to the main office. The reason a software vpn client won't work is because I need the laptop to act as a gateway for a subnet, not just a single device. I want to bridge the laptop ethernet port to the internal m0n0wall interface so I can plug in VoIP hardphones and other devices that need access to the main network.

Here's the tough part: I'm connecting to the internet using a Verizon Wireless pccard (Sierra Wireless Aircard 595) on a data plan.

So far, I bridged the Ethernet and 802.11 interfaces in windows (that way this could theoretically work for either one, i'd like an app or a way to turn the wlan nic into an ap) and in vmware, made the LAN interface vmnet0 (automatic bridge), which seems to work fine and assign ip's via dhcp to the pc/other devices. Plus when I directly plug into the lan and don't turn on m0n0wall, it will grab an ip from the 802.11 or ethernet just fine.

The problem is with the WAN side. First of all, even though the aircard installs itself as a network adaptor, the internet connection is actually a dial-up connection that dials #777. Even when connected, the Aircard lan connection still shows as disconnected so it doesn't seem that bridging will work here. I tried it anyways and don't get an IP of course. but when i go into the dialup options under tcp/ip v4 and either uncheck the box OR change to an invalid ip, the ppp connection will not establish. Is there another way to get another piece in the middle of the ppp connection and the m0n0wall WAN interface? I'm pretty stuck at this point.

The other thing i'm wondering is that even if i were to get this working, i have a feeling that windows would still try to route all traffic straight through the aircard, bypassing m0n0wall. I guess I could just put a staic route in for the main office subnet but any better suggestions would be appreciated.

If I can get a solution working, I will put this on at least 2 other laptops.

Could I possibly be making this way more complicated than it should be? If there is another solution that will do what I need without vmWare, i'm open to suggestions and it doesn't have to be free.

If you've made it this far, i appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to read this and i appreciate any help you guys could give.

ryan

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i dont know if you read the pdf that comes with the appliance but the setup in there is pretty much the one you need here too.

for the wan/ppp side i have no idea how wireless cards on a laptop work with that. i assume bridging wont work if the nic doesn't show it's connected at least.

i know that my host has 2 adapters of which one has an (internal) ip address and the other one is unnumberd. that's the port my x-mono is connected to and has the external IP adress on. all traffic goes to x-mono's internal port which acts as a gateway that way. even the host itself routes all internet traffic through that gateway so that works like a charm. all you'd have to do is set your dhcp scope to have a gateway pointed to the x-mono's internal lan ip.

the only problem i see with your setup is the wireless card that has to connect for bridging to work. x-mono does understand ppp connections. did you try having it dial the #777 for you instead of you host? who knows what will happen Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

... but when the x-monowall boots, look for loglines that start with 'vxn' or 'lnc'. if those show it will at least detect the network cards. you can restart the network configuration from the console to redetect/reset the wan/lan interfaces and to set the lan interface ip address (the only one that will show the web interface).

> I hate to bug you, but any chance of throwing me a

> bone to get the x-m0n0wall appliance running? I

> totally understand if you can't, so no biggie.

> That said, this is where I am:

>

> I followed your directions (from the forum) to get it

> to run under ESX 2.5.2 and can now successfully boot.

> The problem comes in at config time, because the

> NICs don't seem to be working, or at least they're

> not auto-detected. I'm not a big networking guy, so

> don't shoot me... I may just be confused on the

> assignments, I guess. I have NIC1 assigned to a

> vswitch that is not bound to any physical NICs (this

> is my internal network - the one I want to isolate),

> and NIC2 assigned to my production switch that is

> bound to physical NICs. The 3rd one is

> disconnected, because I don't think I need it for my

> implementation.

>

> Does this sound even remotely like I've set it up

> correctly?

>

> Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They changed because they're no longer AMD PCnet NIC's but fullblown VMXnet cards

B-)

and you're right, i built it on linux Smiley Wink

Hello,

Just converted from standard monowall to the x-monowall. I am running this

on an XP box with VMWare server(will move to ESX in the future). I found the

note on the daemon but ran into one other difference in the xml file. The

names of the adapters change from the standard monowall to the x-monowall

version. Also in the VMWare console the devices were mapped to /dev/vmnet0

where Windoze has them as VMnet0.

Just some notes to pass along. Mine is up and running. Thanks for the hard work.

Doug

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

took a while but the link in the appliance directory now points to the new version! everybody who used that link in the topright corner in the last couple of months to download x-monowall should get the new version from

0 Kudos
rybred
Contributor
Contributor

how does x-mono understand ppp connections? all i was able to see is static, dhcp, pppoe, pptp, and bigpond? where's ppp? pppoe requires a username and password and there's no option to dial any number.

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think it can. You may want to check http://forum.m0n0.ch/ though.

0 Kudos
Hi5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I can't make X-M0n0wall virtual appliance working on ESX 3.0.1. It works just fine on VMware Server. I used VMware Converter to import it to ESX. Also I tried vmkftools -i. VM is starting up ok. But it doesn't want to connect to network. I tried removing and adding virtual NICs but it didn't work. I have no connectivity to the VM from inside and from outside. Other VMs are working fine on this ESX with no problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i'm not sure what converter does with the virtual hardware of the machine. i usually create a new machine and import the harddisk when i put x-mono on an ESX box. you can check your vmx file and set your EthernetX.virtualDevice = "vmxnet".

also, you can try putting all three adapters into one vswitch/portgroup, set an IP address on the LAN and connect to it from a windows machine connected to the same portgroup. if that works you'll at least know that the firewall's NICs are working.

0 Kudos
kalexa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I love the idea behind this appliance. This is exactly what I am looking for. However, I have one problem and that is this virtual machine seems to use excessive cpu. I am running vmware server 1.0.4 on CentOS 4.5. Any ideas as to why it is always eating cpu. If I can get past this hurdle then this will be my new firewall solution.

Thanks!

0 Kudos