VMware Virtual Appliances Community
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is involved in making an appliance?

I downloaded the Studio 1.0. The first thing I noticed is the license says the only thing I can make with it is developer tools. So that means people are using something else. Let's say you have a VM that you like that you want to turn into an appliance, whether it's a full OS and web server with mail, or something small like a load balancer, whether you want to sell it, or give it away. What do you do to do that? What tools do you use? How easy is it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

hightlight the VM in question and power it off. Go to the top on your vCenter Client, choose filevirtual applianceexport

if you feel this or any other answer was useful, please consider marking it as "correct" or "helpful" to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you have an existing VM, isn't it as simple as higlighting it and exporting it as a virtual appliance?

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if you have an existing VM, isn't it as simple as higlighting it and exporting it as a virtual appliance?

Maybe. I'll see once. That would be perfect.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

hightlight the VM in question and power it off. Go to the top on your vCenter Client, choose filevirtual applianceexport

if you feel this or any other answer was useful, please consider marking it as "correct" or "helpful" to award points

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>hightlight the VM in question and power it off. Go to the top on your vCenter Client, choose filevirtual applianceexport<

It tries to write it to a CD with an error message after that says: The export format does not support the backing of this device.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you have nothing attached to the CD/DVD drive? I just test this yesterday and it works great. I'm running vCenter 3.5U3 and ESX 3.5U3

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i would check this post: http://communities.vmware.com/message/871331. just installing an OS and calling it an appliance isn't enough..

IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>you have nothing attached to the CD/DVD drive? I just test this yesterday and it works great.<

True. I'll have to think about how to do that. Smiley Happy It's bigger than a CD. I just want a copy so I can re-use it and don't need to re-install and OS over and over again.

0 Kudos